Wednesday, June 29, 2011

if i'm going to go crazy...

Adventures are fun. Unplanned adventures are even better. They bring so much more potential, but so much uncertainty. Anything can happen and usually anything does.


Last Friday, two of my best friends and I decided to go on our very first backpacking trip alone. Three 19-year-old girls with limited wilderness experience, out by ourselves in the middle of nowhere.


Sounds like a great idea...(why our parents let us..no idea...) You can see where this is going to end up.


But surprisingly, we succeeded. Every time we completed a task, we celebrated. I wish I could say I do that about so much more in my life.


We built fires, filtered water, and cooked our food...
looking good El
Set up the smallest tent I have ever seen and put our food up in a tree to protect us from bears!
us, 1. bears, 0.
And basically just survived....all while having the best time ever.
we did it!
I was proud of us.


Then, less than 24 hours later, we went on a totally different type of mountain trip: the luxury of car camping.


Where you cook on a grate and get to use an actual toilet, and sleep in the car (which happened to be only a slightly larger space than the tent). And eat really really good food. Like food blog material.




banana boats. yuuummy. 
Most importantly though, during all of this, we started to go crazy. Maybe it was the wilderness and all of that quiet. Or that we were all really sleep deprived. (For the record, spooning does not equal a good nights sleep)
small small space...but a great view
But probably, it was that the three of us were together for such an extended period of time. That hasn't happened in forever. Forever.


We were literally out of control for these three days. Laughing at nothing. Talking waaaay too loud. Laughing at ourselves laughing at nothing.
very attractive beavers
We were definitely going crazy. But as I tried to take deep breaths to calm myself down after lack of oxygen from laughing, I realized that I was very glad.


I was glad that these two girls are my friends. Because if I'm going to go crazy, I'd much rather do it with these two than alone.


These two friendships, two of my best, are some of the most precious things in my life. I hold them close to my heart. These times over the past days have helped me remember to appreciate them. And to remember why we're all friends. (It's a secret, special reason that I can't tell you.)


Time spent with these two is definitely time well wasted.

1 comment:

  1. unhealthily obsessed with this blog. and you...obv. i'm glad we can go crazy together :)

    ReplyDelete