Saturday, November 3, 2012

opportunities.

My new motto is "Fridays are for FUN."

I really think that every weekend should be a three-day weekend. And that there should always be a day filled with friends and relaxation and free time and being places and eating good food and going places and sleeping a little extra.

Good thing I don't have classes on Fridays next semester. Can I get a HEY YEAH!?

Any who, last Friday, a dream came true. Another thing Fridays are good for. I'm slightly obsessed with TED. I watch the videos online and just love everything that they stand for. So, I jumped on the opportunity to go to a TEDx conference in Indy last Friday.

It. Was. The. Bomb.


It was combo between talks that inspired, talks that made me think, talks that made nod my head, and a couple talks that left me confused and needing a little more. But all of the people are doing things in the community; they are movers and shakers and changers. And those are the kind of people I want to be around.

My favorite person talked about distraction in our world and how it affects learning and working. She said that "distraction is between where you are and where you want to be." It's a place that is messy and where we are uncomfortable. She used the word beautiful to describe how we need to try to embrace this way of learning.

Also, things I was obsessed with: games and playing them. The TEDx conference was full of them. Activities that engage you and let you see what everyone else is thinking. Like Mad-Libs for grown-ups. And neighborhood dream boards. And pop-cornimunication. And a map of where you learn best.









Amen for TED. Amen for "Ideas Worth Spreading." And AMEN for Fridays.

No comments:

Post a Comment