Sunday, February 24, 2013

french fries, gold stars, and pillow fights.

I'm all over this Alpha Phi thing recently. It's everywhere I look and everywhere I go.

This might be a new revelation to me, but it's this kind of thing, this being part of a sorority that is actually teaching me things in college. Sure, going to class to learn about sociological theory is important too. But, let's be real. I'm learning more in my experiences in Young Life, in my Admissions job, and in Alpha Phi. These are the kind of experiences that will help me when I'm out of college, the ones that I will use to get jobs and put on my resume. I'm learning to work with others, to deal with conflict, to be creative, to delegate, to lead. Can't learn that in a classroom setting. Just saying. I'm all about the experience, bro. (I don't know why, but that seemed like a really relevant sentence for this post.) 

I'm continuing my journey of learning in Alpha Phi by being on the Executive Board for next year. I'm the Vice President of Membership Recruitment. Sounds official, huh? It's going to be a hard job, full of lots of questions and not a lot of answers. But, that's the best part. I know that I will learn something through it.

We started off our Exec term by heading to our Alpha Phi Regional Conference last weekend. So great to spend a weekend with these other six girls who I will be growing with over the next year. We learned a lot already and spent some quality time going psycho. We were the ones sitting in the corner laughing loudly at inappropriate times while everyone stared at us. We were the ones who snuck out of the hotel at 2am to go get McDonald's because they didn't feed us enough, dang it, and we were really, really hungry.





So, here's to a year of adventure and difficulty and fun, all at the same time. I'm so glad that we're doing it together.


1 comment:

  1. You're funny. You little alpha phi leader, you. also your hair is OUT OF CONTROL LONG

    ReplyDelete