Wednesday, February 29, 2012

buzzer beater

It's only been two years since I walked the halls of Fort Collins High School. Wow. This really hit me yesterday.

Last night, I went to a YoungLife tailgate and then to the North Central boys basketball game. It was their first game of the playoffs. The boys are ranked top five in the state. They are real good. Real good.

I loved sitting in the NC student section with some of my girls. They taught me all of the cheers, made fun of me for standing out by not wearing red, and laughed at the coaches and refs with me. I loved getting excited when the team was doing great and upset when a bad foul was called. Some of the boys behind us were really into the game and were yelling the funniest things, like "BUCKETS!" whenever someone made a basket.

And, when the last few minutes came, North Central was up. The other team's star player went down with a potential broken wrist. He got back up, shot a three, a pair of free throws, and then...this happened.


It was cray. Everyone around me in the North Central student section was in shock. And, even if I'm a little sad for all my high school friends, I had to admit, that was a great game. No big deal, but it made it onto ESPN highlights yesterday and today. I was there. Yep.

And it made me remember that I love high school sports. And, I really really loved that last night. It was like I was back in high school, throwing on my super fan gear and heading to the front row at the game to cheer on the Lambkins. I missed the atmosphere at a high school sporting event. It's not as crazy and intense and competitive as college and pro sports. But, there are still such great rivalries and people get so invested in their school. And it was great to watch how a simple basketball game can turn into such a matter of pride for their school. Sometimes all I can do is laugh at the ridiculous things that I witness as a YoungLife leader. Ridiculous in part because I was doing the same things two years ago.

But, I can't complain. Everyone loves a good buzzer beater.

No comments:

Post a Comment