Tuesday, September 18, 2012

writing.

Sometimes I question why I write. Why do I need to take the time to record my thoughts? Shouldn't I be out living my life? 

The truth is...writing, and then sharing my writing, is what makes the living more real. It makes me look for the important things and search for a good story in my own life. Writing makes me slow down and stop for a second. My hands that write and type can't always keep up with my brain. Writing makes me reflect and be calm and breathe. 

Writing doesn't always seem worth it. Sometimes it's too much work. And too hard to think about things. It's much easier to mindlessly sit in front of the TV and deny myself the chance to figure out how I'm really feeling. 

But, there is a balance between writing and living. One of my favorite authors, Shauna Niequist, is coming out with a new book and posted about the act of writing. Every single word that she comes up with is poetic and I can't wait until the Spring for her book. 

"The writing I do is about daily life, and if I spend too much time writing, there’s not enough time for living—for dinner parties and walks to the park, for being a friend and wife and mother and daughter. My living time to writing time ratio is very, very heavily weighted toward the living, and that’s just exactly how I like it. Another person would build a lot more houses in the time it takes me to hammer away at one, but that’s the way it works for me."


You can read more about her blog here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment