Tuesday, April 24, 2012

relay for life

Relay for Life was a beautiful experience on Friday night. The dad of one of my good friends has been battling cancer, especially these last few months. He was there to talk at the event, along with the rest of her family. It was so beautiful to watch how well they have supported each other and loved each other through this battle. 


I walked in honor of my grandma who passed away from cancer when I was ten. Although she wasn't a part of my life for very long, she still made an impact. I will never give away my Beanie Babies that she gave to me. I'm a big list maker, just like her. And I always try to remember to encourage and acknowledge the people I love by sending them cards.

The best part of the night was the Memory Laps. We all walked in silence and in darkness for thirty minutes to honor and remember those people who have fought cancer. It was an emotional few laps around the track; lots of tears, hugs, and lines of people holding hands. But, what followed was better. A sense of hope. That we are all in this together. No one can go through cancer alone.

First Relay experience was such a success. Can't wait for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment